The ALMC/SELIAN ORTHOPAEDIC INSTITUTE:
Children in our community suffer from both congenital problems like club foot and acquired orthopaedic deformities such as the unique local problem of skeletal fluorosis. Skeletal trauma is a common cause of disability and burn contractures are also frequent among Maasai children as a consequence of open fire cooking.
Orthopaedic Institute Objectives:
1. Establish full time, specialist orthopaedic care for the Arusha and Manyara Regions of Tanzania
2. Strengthen and expand existing orthopaedic services at the Selian Lutheran Hospital (SLH) and the newly opened Arusha Lutheran Medical Centre (ALMC)
3. Strengthen and expand existing Physical and Occupational Therapy services
4. Expand existing outreach services to find children in the villages who are in need of orthopaedic and plastic surgery. Click to see a slideshow of outreach photos.
4. Initiate community outreach to complement the existing services of our partners at Haydom Lutheran Hospital and Mwangaza
5. Provide a minimum of 200 subsidized orthopaedic operations for crippled children annually. Click to see the program brochure.
6. Provide long-term post-operative care for children whose conditions do not allow immediate return to their home environments.
Back to top
Copyright © 2008-2012 Arusha Lutheran Medical Centre